Join us on us on Wednesday, October 22 at 3:30 p.m. to celebrate the latest section of the Middle Fork Greenway. The ribbon cutting will take place in front of Mystery Hill at 4:00 p.m. Park at Tweetsie and follow the Greenway to the celebration!
Rocky Knob Bike Park is hosting Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day. Expect Lots of 2 wheel goodness for the whole family. This is a a perfect event to help your child get into mountain biking or take the next step in their riding skills.
10am – 2pm, Saturday Oct 11th.
On Tuesday, October 2nd, High Country Recreation co-hosted a Candidate’s Forum on recreation along with Blue Ridge Conservancy and High Country Pathways. There are six county commissioner candidates competing for three open seats, and all these candidates attended the event. The open seats are:
1) Why did you choose to participate in this forum? (1 min)
2) What role does recreation play in economic development for our community? (2 min)
3) What role do you see the Board of Commissioners playing to support recreation in our community? (2 min)
4) A community recreation center has been an expressed need of the community for decades both in county/town planning and in community surveys. Since a YMCA is not coming to Watauga County, what plans would you have to meet this need? (2 min)
5) Trails and greenways have been shown to be one of the most important recreation amenities in statewide and local surveys. What role can the county play to support the development and building of local trails and greenways? (2 min)
We will continue our series of community meetings to talk about a community recreation center on Thursday, October 2nd at 6:15pm at Valle Crucis school. While this will happen in conjunction with their PTSA meeting, this is open to anyone in the community. On Friday, November 14th at 6:00pm, we will be presenting at Bethel Elementary School prior to their movie night. Please plan on joining us for these events in your community as we continue to advocate for an indoor community recreation facility.Read More